On Monday 08 September 2008 12:21:18 narendra sisodiya wrote:
> I have a question, Can I use Fedora 9 as a commercial use to develop
> software. ?
> has anybody studied its license policies ?
> Actually generally compaies buy Redhat. Do we any exmple for "Free of
> cost" or linux distro in companies ??
>
> Ref :  At software list :- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing
> There are some packagse which are commercial restrictive. removing
> package will solve the problem.

Explain "commercial use to develop software".

- Are you trying to use that as your development platform? None of the
linux distros stop you from doing that.

- Are you planning to package your software along with a distro to your
clients? Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu,Gentoo all allow you to do that.

Not too many people understand the distribution legalities of Redhat
Linux completely. *My* interpretation is that while it is the RHN
services which cost money and as per the licence of the software on the
CDs, you are free to copy and distribute them, ... there are some
trademark issues that you have to worry about if you intend to
distribute Redhat Linux along with your software. Redhat's
(intentional?) lack of clarification in this regard makes the distro a
no-no for any commercial software+Redhat Linux bundle in my book. If
someone really wants to provide it to their clients, it is safer to ask
the client to purchase a copy and install your software from an
installer.

OTOH, I would strongly recommend Ubuntu for such uses. It is as stable
as Fedora, commercial support is available if any of your clients want
it but not tied in, unlike Fedora it is not promoted as a poor cousin
by its primary sponsor, and long term support releases are available to
assure stability to your clients.

- Sandip