On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Sandip Bhattacharya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On Monday 08 September 2008 12:21:18 narendra sisodiya wrote:
> > I have a question, Can I use Fedora 9 as a commercial use to develop
> > software. ?
> > has anybody studied its license policies ?
> > Actually generally compaies buy Redhat. Do we any exmple for "Free of
> > cost" or linux distro in companies ??
> >
> > Ref :  At software list :- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing
> > There are some packagse which are commercial restrictive. removing
> > package will solve the problem.
>
> Explain "commercial use to develop software".

Developing softwares which can be saled out for money,
Actually my company use RHEL (some old version) , I wanted to have Fedora on
my box so i was asking so,, Anyway they have refused the my idea and I have
to work on RHEL

> - Are you trying to use that as your development platform? None of the
> linux distros stop you from doing that.
>
> - Are you planning to package your software along with a distro to your
> clients? Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu,Gentoo all allow you to do that.

Thanks for this info, But, I was having impression that , "you can not
attach a GPL packages with your peice of code for which will be shiped as
binary blobs, you have to open your source code also  .. As per my knowledge
, you can use LGPL in that case.

> Not too many people understand the distribution legalities of Redhat
> Linux completely. *My* interpretation is that while it is the RHN
> services which cost money and as per the licence of the software on the
> CDs, you are free to copy and distribute them, ... there are some
> trademark issues that you have to worry about if you intend to
> distribute Redhat Linux along with your software. Redhat's
> (intentional?) lack of clarification in this regard makes the distro a
> no-no for any commercial software+Redhat Linux bundle in my book. If
> someone really wants to provide it to their clients, it is safer to ask
> the client to purchase a copy and install your software from an
> installer.
>
> OTOH, I would strongly recommend Ubuntu for such uses. It is as stable
> as Fedora, commercial support is available if any of your clients want
> it but not tied in, unlike Fedora it is not promoted as a poor cousin
> by its primary sponsor, and long term support releases are available to
> assure stability to your clients.
>
> - Sandip

┌───[ Narendra Sisodiya ]──────────────┐
│
│         http://narendra.techfandu.orghttp://www.lug-iitd.org
│