I just got myself a dell vostro 1310. It came with windows vista but I
promptly removed it and installed ubuntu.

Among the basic things that are not working yet, the three most important
ones are

1. Wired network
2. Wireless network (broadcom card, will need ndiswrapper)
3. Sound

Ubuntu recognised the ethernet device (wired) but strangely is unable to
connect using it.

I am writing this e-mail from another machine. This old machine can connect
to the network using dhcp or a static ip.  At this moment, on this old
machine my /etc/network/interfaces file reads as follows.

*********
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.4
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

auto eth0
*********

The same configuration on the new dell vostro machine does not connect me to
the network. If I set it to connect using dhcp, it says "No DHCPOFFERS
received".

Could someone point me to what I may be missing? I will of course be happy
to provide any further information you may want.

Vikas