> You could try changing the screen resolution and see if that helps.  If
> your resolution is set to 120 dpi you will get huge fonts.
>

> > [snip]
> > To sum, so far, debian lenny has worked much better on this machine
> > than ubuntu 8.04 did. There are a few minor issues with the debian
> > installation but it recognised all the hardware so much better than
> > ubuntu did.
>
> Glad to hear that :)
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Raju

The following command on both ubuntu and debian gives identical
results.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ xdpyinfo | grep dots
resolution:    125x125 dots per inch

It is not obvious to me why the fonts should be rendered so
differently.

Should I try higher or lower dpi? The xorg version that comes with
lenny does not require font specifications in xorg.conf. I am not too
sure about how to change dpi. I read somewhere that I could give an
additional argument in gdmsetup to do it.

Thanks very much,

Vikas