On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Sandip Bhattacharya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 October 2008 23:54:31 Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> > Today every company is talking about Cloud computing, but RMS has
> > rejected as a trap and it truly is. How much sense does it make to
> > adopt technologies pushed by some companies which could further lock
> > us in. We are struggling to get out of non-free and jail created by
> > MS and colonial cousins, before we could break that another jail is
> > awaiting.
> >

> Well, I have been waiting to see the FOSS response to this for a while
> now. It is an interesting problem to solve. Of course, just calling it
> a trap doesn't suffice. You have to provide an alternative.
>
> It is a very interesting technology which will obviously change the way
> many applications can work. It challenges the whole notion of how
> computing is done today. The only response to it from a FOSS POV is to
> provide an alternate business model. Something similar to how the SETI
> project(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volunteer_computing), or even Tor
> works.
>
> - Sandip

I quite agree with RMS. When we work locally at least data is with us. Cloud
computing followed by SaaS is a dangerous stuff. There can be a lot of legal
issues, for example, two years ago I did a story of Iran where US based
companies were banned for offering any service in the nation. The entire
nation came to knees as from basic emailing to ticket reservation and
everything else depended on MS and other proprietary technologies. Now,
where were they going to get support from? They switched to GNU/Linux and
Free Software and they are building upon it. Now, since the companies
operate globally how and why should the parent nation control that? What if
India refused to sign Nuclear Treaty, and US puts embargo on India Google,
Yahoo, and all US based companies asked to stop operations in India,
everything will come to halt (Though Indian being a software power it may
not happen still). You will lose all the data/application to access that
residing on servers of those compnies. If you have data locally, you will
still be alive and cicking. In the world of cloud computing/saas, we need
more tranparancy, no vendor lock-in and neutral control of governments for
companies operating globally.

While intervieing most of the companies into SaaS space, including MS, when
I asked the same question about control of parent country, they all refused
to answer, This shows..things are fishy.

Swapnil

--
Swapnil Bhartiya
http://ybfree.blogspot.com/