Hi all,
Interesting discussion. You might want to have a look at Project Caroline.
Its an open platform which will let anyone host their own SaaS platform,
does not lock-in into any particular technology or language or vendor, its
source code is completely open and follows open standards.

http://research.sun.com/projects/caroline/

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Anupam Jain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Sandip Bhattacharya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > What I am disagreeing is with the FOSS world not attempting to even
> > touch the technology because the closed source business model is the
> > only one we see. The technology is really attractive, and there is no
> > doubt that if the right FOSS business model is found, it would benefit
> > a lot of people without compromising the software freedom that we have
> > today.
>
> Exactly.
>
> Maybe opening up the data storage and exchange formats is part of the
> key. For example, gmail allows pop/smtp access, which means that your
> data is not be locked inside the gmail "jail", even if the software is
> not free. Does that make it more acceptable than, say, hotmail?
>
> -- Anupam

Angad Singh
http://blogs.sun.com/angad
Sun Campus Ambassador Tech Lead