[snip]

>> Well, one of the options is not to use the Ipod because of its
>> restrictive nature!!  Other devices like those from Creative, Cowon
>> and even Mio are linux-friendly and are well supported in Amarok (in
>> addition to Rhythmbox)

currently my thinking too.
how the music streams through the air to your two biological and
analog ears does not matter, so long as you get juiced up with
good-enough quality. check this 'roll your own ipod (sort of)'
approach, based on a tip kishore bhargava gave me last year:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/niyam/2570134330/

the catch, it needs a power-adaptor, but you can get a
battery-adaptor, which is a bit clunky.
the good stuff: drag and drop any media file with freedom.

>        I use an ipod (the older video ipod) with the free software from
>  rockbox. T[snip]

yup, so while you bypass ipod's restrictive iTunes, and enjoy your
ogg, apple uses your dollars to develop and strengthen its DRM-based
devices, software, and services.

regards
niyam