On Wednesday 08 Jul 2009, Amit Sharma wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >  Just shifting to Linux for purpose of licensing
> > compliance can not be reason enough unless the work you do can be
> > also done. They are using some proprietary software which need be
> > tested.
>
> <snip>
>
> sometimes licensing compliance and/or cost is a good enough reason
> for the shift.

In a migration of OS platform; lic. cost is not the only aspect.

I think the point Sudev is making: there are other cost factors besides
the lic. cost. and the migration has to be evaluated in a pilot.
a) equivalent applications on the new platform
b) user re-training on the "equivalent" tool (for end users to get the
job done that they do at the same/better level of productivity)
c) Finding local companies/consultants to support the new platform.

Other aspects:
1. What if an equivalent tool is not available at all on the new
platform?
2. What if the end user retraining is involved? (equivalent tool UI is
completely different and/or the learning curve is long for end users to
gain the same level of productivity)

At the end of the day the business has to deliver it's commitment to
it's customers.

--
Arun Khan