On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Dhiraj Gaur <dhiraj.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A United States judge on Tuesday ordered Microsoft
> <http://search.rediff.com/imgsrch/default.php?MT=microsoft> Corporation to
> stop selling Microsoft Word in its current form in the US as it infringes
> upon a patent owned by a Canadian company, i4i.

Little disappointed with the URLs provided,  thought of looking for
more information. This is not the first and last news from M$ on
violation of the patents, but the important thing is the "Ruling" by
the court this time. Which has ordered M$ to ban selling the M$ word
in the USA. Which is quite remarkable ruling.

Apparently the same new is spreaded across all the major news and
leading technology news websites.
some of them are

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2009-08-12-microsoft-lawsuit_N.htm

which clearly tell how exactly Microsux ( kudos to Raj for inventing
ludicrously innovative term) violated the patents.

I4i, which mainly makes software for drug and defense companies,
obtained the patent for a "customized XML" tool in 1998. XML is a
specialized alphabet that can capture any kind of computer file as a
regular text.

Microsoft started using XML as an alternative way to save Word files
in Word 2003 and made it the default format for all Office files in
Office 2007.

This made it easier for Microsoft and its partners to create programs
such as accounting software that generates reports in Word formats,
says Rob Helm, analyst at research firm Directions on Microsoft.

&

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/08/13/microsoft_priates_settled/

Regards,
Yash