On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:56:51 +0000 (UTC)
Pawan <pee...@hotpop.com> wrote:

> Nalin Savara <nsn...@...> writes:
>
> [about Nalin's work:]
>
> > This is a proprietary compiler based on gcc-- which compiles to
> > generate code targetted at a MIPS microprocessor used in a
> > consumer electronics device.
>
> Going off on a tangent to the main debate:
>
> The compiler can be proprietary if you keep it in house.
[...]

I was wondering about that too, i.e., how can a proprietary project
also be open source.

> But I'm wondering about the MIPS binaries, since they are
> distributed generally. Does the electronics company provide
> source for the MIPS binaries under GPL? No? Yes? What's the
> reasoning there?

I doubt that there is any problem there. As per my understanding, it
is perfectly legal to compile proprietary software using gcc.
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Compiler_Collection
See the first paragraph) also seems to say that gcc is used in
proprietary software development.

Regards,
Gora