On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:26 AM, Pawan<pee...@hotpop.com> wrote:
> Nalin Savara <nsn...@...> writes:
>
> [about Nalin's work:]
>
>> This is a proprietary compiler based on gcc-- which compiles to generate
>> code targetted at a MIPS microprocessor used in a consumer electronics
>> device.
>
> Going off on a tangent to the main debate:
>
> The compiler can be proprietary if you keep it in house.
>
> But I'm wondering about the MIPS binaries, since they are distributed
> generally.
> Does the electronics company provide source for the MIPS binaries under GPL?
> No? Yes? What's the reasoning there?

The code compiled by GCC is not required to be licensed under GPL.
Indeed, my company too has people using GCC and scratchbox to cross
compile proprietary code for MIPS.

However I wonder about the proprietary compiler itself. if it's based
on GCC, it needs to be licensed under GPL, even if it's distributed
in-house. So any developer who works for this company and has lawful
access to the executable can demand the sources and then distribute
these sources to the general public under GPL. Is it possible for the
company to legally prevent its employees from doing this? What happens
if someone not "authorised" by the company gets access to the binaries
illegally or accidently. Can he then demand the sources under GPL?
These are all thought provoking questions.

-- Anupam