On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Raj Mathur <r...@linux-delhi.org> wrote:
> In addition, the 80-character limit on code is a reasonable limit, both
> for the reason pointed out above and because length of lines of code
> varies a lot, with typical ones being short.  For instance, on analysing
> ~30,000 lines of code I'd written (not including 0-length lines and
> comments) I find the following:
>
> Maximum length:         129
> Minimum length:         1
> Median length:          18
> Mean length:            23
> Std deviation:          21.5 (well, you can expect that to be high)
>
> So looks like even if I don't wrap at 80, the median and mean line
> lengths are likely to be between 20 and 30.  Can I please have that 4:3
> monitor now? :)

Personally, I use a vertical split emacs window with Inconsolata 12pt
font on a 22" 1680x1050 screen. This gives me *two* >80 col wide
windows side-by-side. Works like a charm for multi-file coding (is
there any other kind left?) and diff etc. Not to mention the
Inconcolata beauty! :-) A similar setup should work for a 21" monitor
with appropriate font point size.

~Vipul

--
Vipul Mathur