On Tuesday 13 Apr 2010, Mithun Bhattacharya wrote:
> From: Vikas Rawal <vikasli...@agrarianresearch.org>
>
> > With wide-screen monitors, I end up wasting a lot of screen space
> > even when I am only word processing on something like openoffice.
> > In a 4:3 monitor, one could see a lot more of the page.
>
> I am not sure what is the big deal with widescreen monitors and
>  coders :) - I do coding for a living and I use widescreen monitors
>  both at work and home. I actually use 2-3 4:3 monitors at work
>  depending upon how wide I need it to be.
>
> Among other things try doing a diff across three files on a
>  widescreen monitor and see how useful all that space is. Next I
>  don't have to worry about my code getting wrapped just because my
>  display doesn't go that far wide. It is also useful for people who
>  are working with datasets - most computer generated datasets wont
>  care how wide your display is - I have seen 256 columns or more of
>  dataset flowing into some of the apps I work with. With a wide
>  screen I can keep my email, browser and terminal all open without
>  having to switch between them - try debugging a web based service
>  while looking at the server logs.

Agreed to all points.  For the main activities of either coding or
document reading/preparation, however, longer monitors do make a
difference to me, at least.  For instance, when coding I make lines < 80
characters anyway (split longer ones across multiple lines), so taller
monitors will enable me to see more code at one time.  Similarly, when
writing (formatted or unformatted) text I rarely write lines that would
occupy more than 1/2 the width of the screen, so again taller monitors
give me more context.

> End of the day I think we have to adapt ourselves to the hardware
>  than expect them to modify to our style

Now that is something I completely disagree with.  The hardware is
supposed to adapt to my needs, not vice versa.  We're not automatons
defined completely by our programming and environment (at least not
yet!)

Paraphrasing G B Shaw a bit, The reasonable man adapts himself to his
environment, while the unreasonable one insists on adapting his
environment to his needs.  Hence all progress depends on the
unreasonable man.

Regards,

-- Raju
--