On 06/19/2010 09:21 PM, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
> abhishek jain writes:
>> Dear friends,
>
>> If all of the emails from my server to me are received by SPAM box of gmail,
>> what should i check in my postfix configuration?
>
>> Pl. reply i am using postfix 2.x and centos. the postfix is resposible for
>> just sending the emails, as for reveiving i am using google apps.
>
> Oh, so if you're using the same domain name for sending emails, it is better
> to configure your postfix to act as smarthost and relay all mails through
> Gmail's SMTP.
>
> And also as others have mentioned already, check the PTR record, and IP
> address of your box being list in DNSBLs.
>
> The whole process of assuring your email is delivered reliably in recipient's > inbox is quite fuzzy. For some guys, adding a PTR record is just enough, while > for others who got blacklisted during beginning, they also need to get SPF[1],
> DKIM[2] setup to assure delivery of emails.

@Abhishek: Ashish's is the most accurate response. There's no quick fix for this - if you already have a Gmail account, then you are much better of using Gmail's SMTP instead of your own, which you can configure in Postfix. Of course, you cannot set an arbitrary address in there.

If you notice, there is a lot of change in the way mails are handled these days. For instance, Gmail relies on SPF and DKIM (Domain Keys Identified Mail), and still it can send your mail to Spam if your reputation has not been good. Yahoo on the other hand requires Domain Keys only (for which you've to use dk-filter/milter and not dkim-filter), and may require participation in its Feedback Loop. Hotmail requires you to have SPF & Sender ID configured, AND, to ensure delivery you need to go through their JMRP (Junk Mail Reporting Program).

And, goes without saying, PTR, not listed in DNSBL, having a correct 'helo' name, and some criteria as mentioned in CAN-SPAM Act are to be followed. You really have to spend some time doing this right, and you have to ensure that you maintain your reputation all times.

All the best with your endeavor ;-)

Regards
Vivek Kapoor
http://exain.com