On Monday 20 Sep 2010, Llywelyn Owen wrote:
> I will be visiting Delhi in the next week or so to work on the Games
> coverage for a fortnight. I plan to bring my Linux Netbook to keep on
> top of my email. Some of my sad Windows using colleague want to do
> the same. We've been told that wifi is either expensive or non
> existent.  Our hotel (Regency Hayatt - not far from the tennis
> venue) has prohibitively expensive wifi internet.
>
> We would be grateful for your advice as to the best options for
> visitors spending 2-3 weeks in Delhi.

Your best bet would probably be to get an el cheapo Reliance or Tata
pre-paid phone with USB cable which will give you around 150 Kb/s
throughput.  Alternatively, you could get a USB 3G dongle from MTNL if
you're looking for high-speed connectivity (though MTNL has its own set
of problems).  You can also buy a 3G dongle in Wales and populate it
with an MTNL SIM when you land here.

Both methods will require some sort of proof of identity before you can
purchase them -- our paranoid (though impotent) regime is obsessed with
tracking callers and Internet users, and I don't really know how
difficult it would be for a visitor to purchase one of these in Delhi.
Having a friend in Delhi purchase one for you, if you have one you know
well enough, would probably be the best bet.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/