On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:46:05 +0530 Dinesh Shah (દિનેશ
શાહ/दिनेश  शाह) <email dines...@gmail.com> wrote

> Dear Owen,
>
> 2010/9/20 Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) <email r...@linux-delhi.org>
>
> > On Monday 20 Sep 2010, Llywelyn Owen wrote:
> > > I will be visiting Delhi in the next week or so to work on the Games
> > > coverage for a fortnight. I plan to bring my Linux Netbook to keep on
> > > top of my email. Some of my sad Windows using colleague want to do
> > > the same. We've been told that wifi is either expensive or non
> > > existent.  Our hotel (Regency Hayatt - not far from the tennis
> > > venue) has prohibitively expensive wifi internet.
> > >
> > > We would be grateful for your advice as to the best options for
> > > visitors spending 2-3 weeks in Delhi.
> >
> > Your best bet would probably be to get an el cheapo Reliance or Tata
> > pre-paid phone with USB cable which will give you around 150 Kb/s
> > throughput.
[...]

> As suggested by Raj, there are quite a few options available that  you can
> use. The situation is not as bad as portrayed by Raj. :-) Yes, we have
> problems but we have come a long way and we need to go further from here.
[...]

Sorry, but Raj is right, IMHO. Bandwidth, and access options in India
are terrible by any standards. We seem to be heading down the US route
rather than the European one. Plus, none of the telecommuncation folk
seem to have a clue on how to develop a website.

In any case, I do agree with Raj that high-speed dialup is your best option.
I was researching these recently, and it seems that overall costs will work
out to something in the range of INR 2200-3500 for a device affording you
nominal speeds of 2.5-3 Mbps. For 2GB/month, the cost would be about
INR 650/month, and 10GB-unlimited for about INR 1000/month (too much if I
am paying for it). Plus, though they will probably not tell you this up-
front most plans have a fair[sic!]-use policy that throttles/caps usage at
10-15GB.

Here are some links that should be of use:
* MTNL: http://www.mtnldelhi.in/dolphin/3g_postpaid.htm
* MTS: http://www.mtsmblaze.com/
* Reliance:
http://www.reliancenetconnect.co.in/netconnect_broadband_tariff.html#Postpaid