It is not mandatory that you store all your data on the cloud. But that is
the very strength of Android. Nonetheless, if you do not wish to store a
single piece of your data on the cloud, then you can surely use Titanium
Backup Pro to backup the complete phone (contacts, sms, call logs, apps)
onto your SD card itself!

And no, the addressbook, unfortunately, does not allow you to categorize
contacts in Groups.

*Blog:* http://shayonpal.com
*Twitter:* @shayonpal <http://twitter.com/shayonpal>
*Mob:* +91 99589 46497