GraphicConverter is a popular Mac shareware program that opens just about any graphic
file you happen to come across.  About 175 different formats.  Not just files from
Macs and PCs, but from all sorts of other computers, PDAs, phones, whatever.

Strangely, it does not list DAT files as being a type it can open:

http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/gcabout_formats.htm

Do you know where they got the file, from a camera or scanner or what program they
used to create it?