I am familiar with Graphic Converter but as you say, it was not able to open
this file.

However, I was able to resolve the problem by simply renaming the file as a
jpeg.

Strange though - I have never had somebody send me a photograph in the form
of a .dat file before. Not sure how they managed to set it up as a .dat
file.  All I am aware of is that he took the photo with a digital camera and
transferred it to his computer then e-mailed it.  I am pretty sure he
doesn't have a Mac though.

Amber