On Jan 5, 2006, at 4:06 PM, iMac List wrote:

From: Greenfield Bowie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anti-spam/anti-worm/anti-virus software for Macs?
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:11:50 -0600

Hello all,
A recent increase in bogus spam in my inbox has sent me searching for
the latest utility software to purchase/download.  I've always received
30-40 spam advertisements daily, but lately that number has increased
to upwards of a thousand a day, threatening to swamp my iMac and
consuming hours of my day!  Moving from OS 9.2.2 to OS X.3 has helped
speed my daily email deleting task, but I still need some suggestions
on anti-viral software.

Anti-viral software will not help with your SPAM count. I guess it does not help for much of anything anyway, since there are no proven viruses that hurt Macs.

My SPAM count went down dramatically when I started using the optional filter at my ISP. I checked it out in a "send SPAM to me" mode for several weeks. Each detected SPAM message had a bold SPAM label in the subject line. I never saw a false positive. Then I switched to an immediate trash, do not send mode.

The SPAM filter in my Panther OS X 10.3.9 Mail catches almost all the residual SPAM.

Within the past 12 or 15 months, MacWorld magazine ran a nice review on SPAM filters. I expect you should be able to find it on their web site.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God, proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.