Subject: Re: Anti-spam/anti-worm/anti-virus software for Macs?
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:50:47 -0500
From: chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Are you saying that the Norton Anti-Virus programs that I have
>operating on my iMac 350 Blueberry and Titanium PowerBook (both
>running OS 9.1.1) is a waste of megage and time? I know that Macs
>are pretty well virus-free critters, but what about some of the cross-
>platform emails, websites, etc. that I occasionally run into (and
>download items from)? Will I still have to be concerned with that,
>even though I=B9m accessing them from my iMac?

If you are running OS 9.x or earlier, then there are viruses that exist.
If you want to be sure you don't get infected, then run anti-virus
software. If this is a waste of time, money, system resources... well,
that is entirely up to you.

I can say that I pretty much topped running anti-virus software on my
Macs back when I moved from System 6 to System 7. In all that time, I've
occasionally run into a virus on one of my Macs. I've never had a data
loss or other problem due to it, and it has always been trivial to
contain and remove. Certainly in my opinion, the risk did not outweigh
the costs of running the software. I saved my money, allowed my machines
to be faster and more stable, and did away with anti-virus software.

But that is just me. You may feel it is more important to be sure you are
protected.

As for protecting yourself from viri for other platforms... well... why?
They can't effect you, so why worry about being protected from them via
anti-virus software... you are already protected because you are running
the Mac OS. You don't need to run anti-virus software to protect yourself
from them.

If you are worried about having an infected windows file on your computer
that you pass to a windows user and thus they get infected... well,
again, I say why? Any of your windows friends had best be running
anti-virus software already (you are nuts to run any version of Windows
without it, and to do so, well, you get what you deserve). So they are
already running anti-virus software and are already protected from
anything you might accidentally pass on to them. Thus why should you have
to pay money for redundant protection that doesn't help you in the least
(not to mention make your machine slower and less stable).

-chris