On Jan 8, 2006, at 6:42 PM, Tim Collier wrote:

Lou:

If you really want to go back to OS 9 I have installation CD's that I'd happily give you. I have no use for them as I use 10.4.3 on ALL of MY MACS. Actually most of my Macs won't even boot OS 9. Why you'd wish to live in the past and run an OS that will be officially dead (although it's not supported anymore by Apple--sort of makes it dead now) as of January 11th is beyond me.

Tim, I wish Apple had made a better, more elegant and efficient interface than this X crap, but you are *wildly* misinterpreting my post! The questioner asked how to get rid of the dock - I said go back to 9. That was my cynical response, as the dock is built into the new X. She can hide it and work around it but not get rid of it...

Just because OS9 is no longer supported does not mean it wasn't good - Apple wanted to sell everybody new computers so they crippled them by obsoleteing 9! Corporate marketing decision. Sure, there is lots more that can be done by borrowing the unix structure, but I honsetly thought at one time that they were smart enough to invent something new and better. No, just design a cartoonish GUI and use the older system rather than re-inventing the system! Of course the code was old and patched, so a change was needed, but I think they went the wrong way and failed to innovate.

Mind you, I am not a programmer, not even a typist, so I'm not saying I could do it better, but I am quite certain that we are in the infancy of computing and there will be many better ways over the next century and beyond, and what we have to put up with now is so primitive and crude that the designers are busilly making it into entertaining cartoons so we think it is cool.... Some of us don't think it is cool.

But if you have 9.1 installation CDs I'll happily take them! I have 9.0.4 and have to install and upgrade to do 9.1... Two iMacs here could use it, and I have a perfectly functional 9500/G3 and a 7100/G3 that have "obsolete" audio cards and that I use for editing audio, and a fresh install would not hurt them a bit. My current work Macs are G4s and won't do a 9 boot, so I learned to live with the recent 10.3.9 but do not use tiger as it is too chidlish looking and too many gewgaws and widgets that get in the way of my professional audio work...

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689