This is not correct - Apple never "merged" with Macintosh - Apple II
is the computer that made Apple tons of money - and very famous - it
was the original one, kind of similar to what was developed in the
garage of Woz or Jobs, I forget which.  The Macintosh group within
Apple was burning through tons of money trying to develop the
Macintosh, which was the next big computer evolution from Apple - the
Apple II people meanwhile, were building the machines that were
actually selling at the time, and making the money that would finance
the Macintosh group.  However, the Macintosh group tended to look at
themselves as being so much better than the "old Apple II" people -
pirate flags were flown on some buildings.  You may want to pick up
some books for cheap on Apple history, such as Apple Confidential, the
Cult of Apple, etc - these go for very cheap now on websites such as
Alibris, Book Closeouts, or ebay - probably for a couple bucks apiece,
and are fascinating reading.

Dennis in San Diego