On Sep 22, 2008, at 11:16 PM, Kyle Parish wrote:

> I know also that Macintosh used to be a separate company because I
> remember when the merger happened.
>  I believe it was around 1980-82
> that Apple bought out Macintosh, and correct me if I'm wrong but
> didn't Apple write Software, and Macintosh made hardware.

No. The Macintosh division of Apple was started in the early 80's in
the aftermath of the Lisa project. See "Insanely Great" by Steven
Levy, and this <http://folklore.org/index.py> by the folks who made
the Mac.

Steve Jobs ran the Mac division sort of as a company within a company,
but it was ALWAYS Apple.

You MAY be conflating the issue of Macintosh (the computer made by
Apple) versus McIntosh (the audio amplifier people), which was simply
a name copyright issue.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona