On Jun 23, 3:39 pm, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
wrote:

> iTunes and iPod don't care at all what transport underlies the TCP/IP
> network. Your 'network' in this instance is everything connected back
> to the Verizon router...your Airport devices are acting as wireless
> switches, not routers in this setup.
>
> (Routers connect different networks, switches connect different parts
> of a single network.)
>
> Your overall speed between any two nodes on the network will be
> limited by the slowest link, so the 802.11g will slow things down, but
> the 802.11n base station is connected to the network via 100 megabit
> ethernet..it will talk to your iPod at 802.11g speeds, but anything
> connected to it will talk to the internet at 802.11n speeds (actually
> whatever speed your internet is at, as even 802.11b networks can go
> faster than the average residential internet connection)
>
> The only times that you'll slow down a wireless station is when the
> faster and slower device are connected to the same base station, here
> you're connecting on two different segments of your LAN, so it's ok.

Bruce:
I slept on this, literally!  Anyway, I was hoping something like your
explanation would work out.  But as implied in my original post (and I
just verified it again), the G4 iBook on WLAN B cannot see the Time
Capsule via AirPort.  The iBook does fine with Time Machine via its
Ethernet connection to the Verizon router.  When I rearrange boxes on
a book shelf, I will physically connect the iBook to the Time Capsule.

To be more clear, I should have stated in my original post that the
Time Capsule (2008) is the base station for WLAN A and that the
Airport Express is the base station for WLAN B.  So, to partially
repeat my original post:

QUOTE:
WLAN A:  802.11n only (5 GHz) to maximize throughput for iMac and
MacBook.  Want to reset Apple TV to this net.
WLAN B:  802.11g
(2.4GHz) for G4 iBook, two iPod Touches, son's iPhone
and his
business secure laptop PC.  Currently handles Apple TV.
Both are set at WPA2 Personal.  Both access Internet in separate
Bridge mode via a Verizon router which has Coax connection to
Verizon's FiOS fiber/coax conversion box (Optical Network Terminal-
ONT) outside the house.  Verizon router's WiFi (802.11b/g) is turned

off.
I want the iBook to work seamlessly with Time Capsule.  My wife needs

to sync MacBook and iMac iTunes with Apple TV and iPod Touch.  Are

there ways to set up these machines and accessory devices for these

functions with the two separate networks?  Or is it best to put it
all
under the Time Capsule?
UNQUOTE

I believe all machines and devices would work well in one WLAN with
the Time Capsule base station set for both 802.11g and 802.11n in the
2.4GHz band.  But there I lose the speed advantage for the Intel iMac
and the MacBook in having their dedicated 802.11n network in the 5GHz
band.

As things stand now, the MacBook can work with the iPod Touch on one
network and must manually stitch to the other network for Time Machine
to the Time Capsule.  The iBook cannot even see Time Capsule.  So I
was hoping there could be a way to use some method of File Sharing to
transcend the two networks.

Al Poulin