On Jun 24, 11:38 am, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
wrote:

> So, I believe your solution is this:
>
> --Internet-->[Verizon Router]<--->[TC (as router)]<--->(ethernet)---
>  >[Air.Exp. (as bridge to TC)]
>
> Set up your Time Capsule as a router, (the default mode) to serve
> addresses to your local network, it will route all the clients to the
> Verizon router for internet access, and the Airport Express will then
> connect via ethernet to one of the LAN ports on the TC instead of the
> Verizon box.

I recabled Airport Express to the Time Capsule router which uses DHCP.

> The Airport Express is set up in bridged mode, as it is now, no
> changes will be needed beyond a restart, I expect.

Restarted Macs and unplugged/replugged power to Airport Express and
TC.

> This will make the network managed by the TC as the LAN for all your
> client systems, and I think this should work for letting you use a
> wireless system on the AE use the TC for backups.

That was a nice hope, but the iBook on WLAN B still does not see the
TC for backup on WLAN A.  And when the Intel iMac is on WLAN B, it
does not see the TC for backup either.  But both get to the Internet
no matter what cabling configuration I try.  The iMac is fine when I
select WLAN A in AirPort.

By the way, I recabled the AP Express to the Verizon router, so that
it and the TC are peers again.  And I turned the Verizon WiFi "on,"
using DHCP.  That makes no change.  So I still need to find new
settings for the AirPort boxes.

I sent my original post to my son living out of town.  When I talked
with him, in two seconds he said we need to let the Verizon router do
the DHCP to the client machines, just as you indicated in your first
answer to me.  But to put this generic plan in motion, he wants to get
into my AirPort Utility on his next visit to adjust settings in the TC
and AP Express.  Maybe in a day or so.

Will let you know.  Maybe I'll give up on this and just run one WLAN
with the TC set to 802.11, both g and n, in the 2.4 GHz band, giving
up the advantages of the 5GHz band for the faster machines.

Al Poulin