I'm going to try command V next.  I tried Command-Option-N-V(?) to
reset NVRAM and it didnt go all the way through.  Here is some of what
I got:

APPLE PMU CLOCK Reset!
security auditing service present
IOATA Controller device blocking bus
Time Clock CHECK and RESET DATA
disk Os7;oxffffffff (UNDEFINED)

This machine has an issue with its DVD drive.  I couldn't eject the
last one that was in there from someone else.  Eventually after
tearing the machine apart I got the disc out.  That is why I loaded
10.3 on a YIKES! machine and physically reinstalled the hard drive
into the Imac

Then it stops and just keeps looking at me.  No nothing.

Restarted and tried leaving it on over night but when I got up the
same spinning circle was there