I did a quick google search for g3 firmware update and this is what I
found...this may be what you need to answer your questions.

This article provides a link to the Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and
White) Firmware Update 1.1 software and its Read Me document.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58374#English

Malcolm