Dale Goodvin wrote:
> the restore disc says to press "C" but I tried the option key and did
> have a new screen come up: icon of hard drive with an "X" on it; a
> curved and straight arrow.  Before the system lets me click on either
> arrow, it again ejects the disc.  Clicking on the curved arrow does
> nothing; clicking on the straight arrow caused the system to boot as normal.
>
> Every system disc I try, even the Applications disc is ejected.  To
> check the cd drive I put in a normal cd (with photos) and it was fine
> (appeared on the desktop, opened when disc icon was clicked).

Clicking on the curved arrow causes a rescan of possible boot volumes.

Clicking on the straight arrow causes it to boot from the selected volume.

What all this is saying is the drive is not able to see a bootable system.

Is the disk you are trying to boot from a CD or DVD?  I ask because
there are different lasers for CD and DVD so the fact that it reads CDs
doesn't mean it can read DVDs.  I realize you said CD drive but I know
sometimes people say that regardless of what type of drive it is.

Otherwise I'd have to say that your boot disk is damaged.  Can you try
accessing it in another machine?  Don't just stick it in to see if the
system sees it, copy the disk to the harddisk.  If it copies okay then
it should be good.  In either case, you can trash the copy on the HD.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA