Thomas,

Leave your hair alone, although enjoy your drink by all means...:-)
Apparently these behemoths are not always capable of recognizing
memory modules of 256Mhz and up, even if they are the right ones.
Check their profile in LEM and related articles.

Although, IIRC, the very first slot-load model could only be upgraded
to 512Mhz, and the following models could be taken to a full gig. I
might be wrong, though. Time to hit everymac.com!

Best,

Felix Lizarraga
Miami Beach, FL