I am posting on behalf of my 73 year old dad.  He's beginning to get
"concerned" that his new eMac has "John Doe's eMac" when we use the
computer tab for finder windows.

We just bought this eMac off eBay, it really doesn't belong to a guy
called John Doe.  So I created a new account on my dad's name, hoping
it would fix that but No; the computer is still "John Doe's eMac" and
we want to be able to change it.  I am only familiar with some
commands in Terminal so if it requires the use of such tool, I will
use it with a lot of caution and need to be walked through please.  We
do not have OS disk at all, so if it requires a system re-install
(which I hope it doesn't) then we might be out of luck.

I am sure other people who buy used Mac have seen this before.  I had
an old G3 that was "Bob's G3" but it didn't bother me; so I left it
alone, used it for 2 years no problem.

If it helps at all, our setup is:

eMac 1.25Ghz
OS 10.4.11