Looks like it is a broken optical drive. I disconnected it and it went straight to the folder icon.

There is no hard drive.

Sorry I called this thing indigo or blue, I stand corrected, it is Graphite. Sorry, it looked sort of blue to me. And the guy that gave it to me told me it was a DV model. My mistake for not verifying it before posting. I apologize.

This is the one I have;
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_se_600.html

iMac SE 600

I have a firewire device that I am going to try to put a DVD drive on and try to boot from it. How do I boot from firewire on this?

My guess is hold down option on boot and choose the firewire drive?

The disks I have are from the iMac 600 I had a long time ago. The iMac is long gone but I still had the CDs. :) That one might have been a DV model though, I know for sure it was a 600, just not sure if it was SE or DV or anything else it could have been.

So my current plan is to see if it will boot from the firewire DVD, if it does then I will put a hard drive in it and load the OS. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks for all of your help with this, I really appreciate it.

take care,
Kevin