On Feb 7, 2010, at 3:11 PM, Elliott Price wrote:

> I think his problem is that it *doesn't* have an HD, and he's trying to boot
> it from the optical drive...
> Check to make sure the CD is a CD, and is bootable by that iMac. If it's a
> system specific disk that's not for an iMac G3, that could be causing the
> trouble.
> Are you sure it's a DV model? If it's a 350Mhz Indigo model, it'll only run
> 10.3, and not 10.4 (without Xpost facto) The sticker on the bottom lists the
> system stats. You might see if you can find an OS 9 disk to try out, since
> all G3 iMacs can boot into OS9, and OS9 was only on CD.

Oops for me too. I had to go to my Google webmail folder to find the original
post, which said the seller took out the hard drive. Doncha hate that?

You're right, Elliott. If he's trying to boot from a machine-specific grey disk
that's not for that *exact* model of iMac, it won't boot from an optical drive.
Also, if the drive is CD, a DVD won't work either. Or the drive could be
faulty, or the  CD/DVD could be faulty. There are so many variables that the
mind boggles.

If the iMac were mine, I'd take off the bottom case and the EMI shield. Then I
would verify that it's a 600 MHz board by reading the factory printing on the
right side of the board just above the drive tray. Then I would pull the drive
tray and look at the label on the optical drive to ascertain exactly which one
it is: CR-xxxx (CD read-only); CW-xxxx (CD read and write); DVD (DVD
read-only). Then I would put a retail copy of OS 9.2.1 in the drive and try to
boot it.
Some 600s will boot from 9.1 while others need 9.2, and the only way to know
which one works is to try.

The good news for Kevin is that it's either a drive issue or a "right" boot CD
issue, based on everything he's reported.

Jim Scott