On Feb 7, 2010, at 2:52 PM, Kevin Avery wrote:

Try an Open Firmware reset of the video RAM.

snip
set-defaults
reset-nvram
reset-all

Just to head off future confusion, I'll be pedantic here.

This procedure dies NOT reset the 'video RAM'. That is volatile, its contents go away when the computer shuts down.

OK, here is the status so far;

All of the troubleshooting have done in the past on this iMac has been in the dark, now in the daylight the "white screen" looks sort of grey.

I was able to boot it into Open Firmware, I actually could see the words on the iMac screen. So I issued the above statements one at a time, hitting return after each one, no help, still a white/grey screen

I have reset the PRAM using Option-Apple-P-R and let it bong 4 times, same result.

Hooking up an external monitor shows "input signal out of range", that is on 2 different 15" flat panel LCD monitors, one is an NEC and the other is a Compaq. I have no other monitors in the house to test with.

I have been holding down the C key when trying to boot, i am pretty sure that I dont need to at this point because I should be getting the folder icon that comes up when it can't find a boot device.

I have also removed and reseated the RAM. And I actually have removed the third party RAM and left in just the 128mb of Apple branded RAM. Still the same result.

I removed the battery, it is definitely bad, it tested at 0.66 v DC, and is supposed to be 3.6 v DC. I tried to boot it without the battery and have gotten the same white/grey screen result.

I appreciate all of your time and advice.

What should I try next?

Thanks,
Kevin

One more update.

I left the room to do something else and had left the iMac on. I was out for about 30 minutes and when I got back I had the blue screen with the folder/question mark icon flashing.

So, I rebooted with the power switch and held down the C key, I did not hear any noise from the CD drive and about 10 minutes after the bong the screen went from grey to white. Then it went about 5 minutes later it went to the blue screen with the flashing folder/question mark icon. I was holding the C key down the whole time since just after the bong.

The battery is still out. The external monitor still says signal out of range.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin