Look underneath it- it should say how many mhz the processor is.
If it's a slotloading machine with firewire, it should run 10.4 tiger.
If you're going to use it for anything, look up how much memory it can take,
and max it out. The more memory it has, the more tolerable it is to work
with.
NeoOffice <http://www.neooffice.org/> is the version of open office that's
tweaked for a PPC processor. It works on my 450mhz imac, but it's a bit slow
to load because the programs are so large.
Abiword<http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/2.4.5/MacOSX/AbiWord-2.4.5-10.2.dmg.gz>would
be a lighter-weight word processor.

If you're considering a dual boot, look at installing fink or macports to
run linux programs instead. I eventually got a version of Debian to run on a
G3 imac, but they usually boot to a black screen, and you have to mess
around with some config files to see a working desktop.