On 4/20/10 2:49 PM, joshuallen wrote:
I'm very familiar with OpenOffice, but it's not compatible with 10.1.
I had no idea what version, exactly, of iMac I had b/c I bought it
second hand from a guy who got it from his father in law and put it
away in a box. I don't think it has a DVD drive, so there's a limit to
the upgrades I can do. also, there's a financial limit to how much I
can spend ($0). I was thinking of trying a dual boot, just to see if I
could get some more modern functionality (openoffice) out of linux.
This is basically a backup computer I got cheap and want to get the
most out of. I know little about it, but I am having fun learning.

Well, you'll probably still want to up the memory if you put a Linux on it. I would suggest Ubuntu 9.04 for it (DO NOT try 9.10). Even though Ubuntu has dropped official support for PPC it is still supported (and pretty well) unofficially. Debian is good, stable and probably the least hassle to install but it is also dated. Fedora looked good but wasn't that stable and I kept running into permissions problems on it.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA