I found a site describing a potential fix for the display problem
(http://www.debianadmin.com/fix-for-sleepy-display-and-boot-to-prompt-
on-imac-g3.html)

I'm going to give it a try after work tonight, and give fink and
abiword a try. I used Abiword for my PC for a while, but I remember
preferring OpenOffice, but I'll take whatever works. NeoOffice
requires paying, and I'm trying very hard to spend as close to nothing
as I can.