On Apr 26, 2010, at 11:24 AM, ./aal wrote:

OS X is not Linux. OS X is Unix.

Linux is not Unix. Linux is only Unix "like" as described by Linus.

And yes, Macs can run Linux. Tho I'm not sure why you would want to.

cjc

OS X is BSD

OS X IS actually certified as a standard Unix <http://tinyurl.com/ r86akg>.

If you want I can go list all the begats and begottens Old Testament style from the PDP11 in K&R's lab in 1969.

In any case, this is immaterial nitpicking, because what people are talking about is when you said :

"Carrie, for style and status
same reason they bought the macs
The person who ordered them had more dollars than sense "

Implying that people buying Macs are only buying them because they're shallow and stupid: "for style and status".

Oddly, people rather dislike being told they're shallow and stupid because they didn't buy YOUR approved form of computer.

New iMacs ship with wireless mice nowadays. This is all that Apple offers, but it's not like you cannot use anything but apple-branded equipment.

No one but trolls suggest that anymore.

If you're buying a whole swotload of 'em (like enough to populate a computer lab) from Apple you can certainly negotiate a special order without mice and provide wired USB mice from another vendor instead. They didn't think about this, but that doesn't mean the only reason they bought Macs was for 'style and substance'...you pretty clearly have never tried to manage a school lab full of PC's. Macs at least stay up running malware-free.

I'm glad you can be happy and productive running linux on your old macs, more power to you, but drop the sanctimonious BS about iStuff and 'what Steve Jobs tells me I need'. It's just flamebait.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona