On May 31, 2010, at 12:09 PM, Kathy K wrote:

> I'm trying to do my homework before making a purchase, and I'm just ending up
> befuddled, and wondering if some kind folks on this list can clear things up
> for me.
>
> I am running 10.4.11
> 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
> 2 GB Memory
> Hard Drive Capacity: 232.57 GB, Available: 116.82 GB
>
> I use this computer for graphic design/illustration, family photos, and
> internet-based games (social facebook kind of games).
>
> I would like to get an external drive to back up all my graphics work and
> photos. I've been looking at the Seagate FreeAgent drives (1TB-2TB) but I'm
> seeing in the specs that 10.4.8 is the minimum OS needed. Is this just for
> the purpose of using TimeMachine? Or do I need 10.4.8 just to dump files on
> the drive?

This is probably for the purposes of the generally useless software on the
Seagate drive.

Also you have a version greater than the one required, you have ten point four
point eleven, not ten point four point one one.

> Also, it seems any external drive will work with a Mac, it's just a matter of
> reformatting if it's a PC drive—correct?

If you want to use Time Machine, it has to be formatted HFS+, which Disk
Utility does with no fuss whatsoever, and Time Machine will do automagically
for you. Otherwise as just a drive to store stuff, most drives are formatted
FAT32 (or DOS as Disk Utility calls it) and work out of the box. I've got a
Freeagent Pro at home as my Time Machine volume, and a seagate drive in a
noname box as a Carbon Copy CLoner backup (belt and suspenders type) and a
Seagate Freeagent drive on my system at work. (An Intel Core Duo iMac)

> I would like to upgrade to 10.5 Leopard and perhaps later 10.6 Snow Leopard.
> Couldn't I get one of these drives now, manually back up files to it by
> drag/drop, then upgrade to 10.5 and begin using TimeMachine then?

Yes, although I'd use Carbon Copy Cloner to back it up.

> Because a lot of my stuff is not backed up anywhere, I do want to back
> everything up before doing an OS upgrade.

Don't waste the money on 10.5, just go to 10.6; your iMac will run better.

> Along with the OS upgrade, I'd also like to add 2 GB Memory, as this computer
> can be pretty sluggish. I currently have 1 GB in each of the two banks—so
> that means buying 2 new 2 GBs to replace the 2 1 GB.

Yes, which is why 1Gb SO-DIMMS are cheap as dirt everywhere :-/

> I don't have loads of $ to spend, and also need to know that my graphics
> software is going to be compatible with the OS upgrade. (Adobe CS3, and
> InDesign CS2, Quark 7, Freehand MXa—yes, the suite needs upgrading and yes
> I'm still attached to Freehand.)

I know for a fact that the Adobe apps will work in 10.6, And I'm pretty sure
that Freehand will...I've got a disk with an old copy around here. Quark I
don't know about.

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD