If I'd clued in that .11 was greater than .8, then indeed I would have realized I had the minimum OS required. But I don't have an IT brain, and never tried to determine what it was that confused me about the whole upgrade point system. Rather, I am more frequently found helping one of my kids with math homework, where in their world .11 is less than .8 — at least decimals I know. Bruce's explanation was great—I'll remember how that works now.

I just bought Snow Leopard today, so once I get everything backed up, that's what I'll be going to. Also purchased an external drive. I know Glenn said he didn't like Seagate, but Seagate has been fine in the past for me. I do have an old Seagate external drive still trucking over here, just not big enough anymore. Anyway, I was happy to find the 1TB Seagate FreeAgent for Mac drive for $99 on the shelf at my local BestBuy.

I will check out otherworldcomputing too. I still need to purchase ram. I'm interested in Time Machine, because I know that I won't get around to backing things up on CDs and DVDs. One can always hope though. Maybe after I do my taxes...