Alas, a newer iMac is not in the stars for now, so I have to squeeze
to the max the one I have.

3 gigs of RAM is usually more than enough for my needs, but I have a
tendency to run too may apps at once, and a lot of the simplest ones
are increasingly becoming memory hogs (iTunes 9.2.1, for instance).