Keep in mind that if you're installing Windows XP it has to be Service pack 3.
I have set up boot camp with XP, and at one point got Ubuntu to work as well.

What version of OSX are you running? The latest version? (10.6.4?) Apple made
Boot Camp much more stable in 10.6 from 10.5.

At what point are you getting a "bad disk" error? Is it referring to the HD, or
the CD you're trying to install from?

        -Elliott