I always thought that Apple installers run a check to ascertain if the OS software can be installed to the selected hard drive ?

Just now the "Leopard" is being installed to a FireWired drive with a QS G4 ( 933MHz) hosting the drive. No complaints from the installer.

When you say slow and performance in the same breath, i have an 8500 with a Sonnet G4 card running the "Tiger" via XPOSTfacto and it takes a year of Sundays to load web pages. Albeit, midi/audio applications run with no problems ( if you keep the audio plugs down to a just a few ). Incidentally,this was just an adventure for me to learn how to upgrade hardware and how to XPOST a Mac not built to run OS X.