On Sep 25, 2010, at 10:34 AM, Ashgrove wrote:

This is the first generation Core 2 Duo iMac. I have the 17" model.
They are great machines. They are prone to display/video card
problems, which apparently has been silently acknowledged by Apple,
since mine broke last year and was repaired for free by them (that was
before I got it but the previous owner gave me the paperwork).

That said, it's anyway a great machine, it's at a great price, and
chances are it'll never give you a headache. So I'd say go for it.

I have a late 2006 24-inch iMac (white, Core 2 Duo). The graphics card was glitching, and I had it replaced under AppleCare. The new card exhibits similar glitches when Quartz is under heavy stress (so far, only when I hit trigger Exposé by accident).

The hard drive died shortly after AppleCare ended, and the optical drive died some time after that.

It seems Apple uses shoddy components to lower the up-front cost, while raising the total cost of ownership.

Should I pay the Apple Store to replace the dead optical drive with the same model, pay a third party to install a better device, buy an external DVD drive (that doesn't require opening the iMac), or just punt the whole issue and watch films on my 15-inch MacBook Pro?

Josh