On Oct 30, 2010, at 2:49 PM, Mystic Prowler wrote:

> Let's hope that happens. To be honest, I only want intel to crash and burn to
> stop Microsoft  in it's tracks.

Based on Apple's history, that could easily happen. Back in the Motorola days
IBM was Apple's biggest competitor, and after Motorola couldn't keep up any
more they switched to IBM. Now IBM is a rotting shell of the company that
introduced the IBM PC, so they move on to Intel. I don't think Apple will
"destroy" Intel (after all, IBM processors are still used in several game
consoles), but either way they will probably switch to a new processor
somewhere around 2014 to 2018 (they have switched every decade like clockwork,
from 6502 to 68k in 1984, 68k to PowerPC in 1994, and PowerPC to Intel in
2006), but by then there could be a die hard Intel crowd just like the PowerPC
crowd of today and the Motorola crowd of the 1990s.

Personally, I hope that Apple will use the resources of P.A. Semi and what they
have learned from the A4 to return to RISC, and since P.A. Semi was working on
Power Architecture designs I don't think that is an unreasonable prediction.
Technically it won't be PowerPC, but it would have all the benefits without the
problems with the G5 (they were working on powerful yet efficient processors)
and it would be designed by Apple, so that's good enough for me.

Steven