On Feb 21, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Dan wrote:

> Depends on the type of error.  DW is more thorough, in that it repairs some
> things that fsck ignores.
>
> To be honest tho.... when a volume is farked to the point that fsck didn't
> repair it, my trust goes out the window.  I don't care what munging DW is
> able to do....  It's time to updated m'backup and re-initialize that volume -
> lay down a whole NEW *guaranteed* *clean* file system.

What Dan said...the purpose of DiskWarrior is to get your system back up to the
point you can recover your data. Get it off, nuke & pave. Keep a close eye on
the drive, as well... 'soft' errors like directory corruption, etc are often
portents of impending HDD hardware failure.

In normal day to day use OSX should NOT REQUIRE disk repair or directory
repair. If this happens, it should be a wake up call that something is
seriously wrong, and you should be prepared to replace the hardware and restore
known-good backups at any time.

OSX does NOT NEED 'routine maintenance' with ANY sort of utility, other than
using Onyx or some other such utility to do the scheduled log rotation
scripts...and even there OS X now manages those much more rationally than it
used to, in 10.6 (and possibly 10.5) they'll run at the next time the computer
is started if it's off when they normally run.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona