On Nov 30, 2012, at 7:48 AM, ds...@nl.rogers.com wrote:

> I've got a two year old Imac running snow leopard.

All "mid-2010" iMac models came with OS 10.6.3 pre-installed.

> Last night we had some wild weather and lost electricity five times in
> several hours. When I booted up the Imac this morning, all I'm getting is the
> chime, the apple and a small spinning circle. Jeez I hope it's not fried.
> Any suggestions as to what I might try?

If it is determined that you need to reinstall OS, you can do one of the
following:

(1)  Call Apple to order a copy of the original specific OS-install DVD for
your iMac.  There will be a nominal charge (~ $17); it will arrive relatively
quickly within a few days.
(2)  Order from the Apple Online Store a "retail"(universal-install) OS 10.6.x
DVD:
<http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard>
I believe that they are selling 10.6.3, which should work for your iMac.

> I looked for the original install discs and just realized that none came with
> the computer. Is this the norm with the newer Imacs?

No.  My 2011 MacBook Pro came with an "OS Install DVD".

Fabian