Ok...My turn to chime up....>grin<

Mac: Best desktop publishing machine you can buy.  Nothing in the i386 world
even compares.
Amiga: Best audio and video processing machine you can buy short of an HP or
Silicon Graphics machine.
i386 PC: Best general purpose machine you can buy.  Far more versatile than
the others.

I say it all depends on what you want to do.  I've been a computer
professional since 1986.  I am Mac service certified amongst all of the
other certifications I hold.  Up until about 1996 I was strictly a break/fix
technician, then I switched over to network engineering.

Now on to the OS "war" that I sense brewing.

Mac OS: Best beginner OS you can find.
Win9x: Most versatile beginner OS you can find.
WinNT: Most secure desktop OS.  Sorry guys.  Linux and BSD aren't ready for
desktop deployment in a large scale YET.  They're getting there.
WinNT Server: Best network authentication OS you can find for the money.
Netware: Best file servers you can get.
Unix/Linux/BSD: Best Internet ready OS.  For use with Web servers, e-mail
servers, DNS servers, network appliances.  Sorry.  Even as an MCSE, NT just
isn't ready to be a major Internet server player yet.

My two cents.