Hi,

I just joined this list and I am a bit green about linux administration and imap. I have, however, read the archives for the past few months to make sure I haven't missed anything totally obvious.

Here's the problem:

We recently upgraded our server to fedora core 5 with IMAP4rev1 2006a.369. On my account, and my account only, I cannot access my regular mailboxes with any client other than pine (running from the console or ssh terminal). I can see my inbox and my list of mailboxes, but they all appear empty. (This is true with squirrelmail, apple's mail.app, and thunderbird on multiple computers.)

After some investigation I discovered that I cannot create mailboxes with any of these clients because they claim the mailbox already exists. I assume these problems are related. I have verified that I get the error while telnetting to port 143:

Connected to mopedog.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS] mopedog.com IMAP4rev1 2006a.369 at Tue, 3 Oct 2006 22:28:29 -0700 (PDT)
a1 login andrew xxxxxxxxxx
a1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ IDLE UIDPLUS NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY UNSELECT SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] User andrew authenticated
a2 create zzz
a2 NO Can't create mailbox zzz: mailbox already exists

The mailbox definitely does *not* already exist, and this error happens with any mailbox name I choose. No other account on the system has this problem. Mr permissions have not changed since before the recent upgrade, and I have checked to make sure they are correct.

Here are the only two factors I can think of that might be involved:

After the recent upgrade we discovered that imap is defaulting into ~/Mail/ rather than ~/. User mail folders have always been kept in ~/mail (lowercase), which is what pine expects. Users configure their imap clients to use the mail/ directory.

As a transparent workaround we have put a symlink to mail into the Mail folder on each account. Voila, problem solved. Pine and external clients are all happy.

Except on my account.

The only unusual feature of my account is that it is on a different physical disk than the other user accounts. It exists in the same logical location as other user accounts in the filesystem.

I'm hoping that with this explanation, the answer is glaringly obvious to the assembled experts. Please enlighten me.

Many thanks,

Andrew