Mark Crispin wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2009, Bjoern Voigt wrote:
>> Anyway, I think, the bug should be fixed for the next release of UW
>> Imap, Alpine etc. Who can do this? I can help with a patch and with some
>> testing it this is helpful.
>
> I fail to see why this is important.  The fix is obvious and trival,
> but I don't see why it is worth wasting time.
Ok, I did not say, that the bug is important. I said, that Linux with
Glibc2 is important. And I said, that I wish that the bug will be fixed
in the next release.

The bug could be seen as a low priority bug. I can agree with this.

> You agree that this is not a security issue; by its nature getpass()
> is only usable in shell programs and the interactive prompt makes it
> unsuitable for scripts.
>
> It does not affect Alpine.  It only affects mtest (which has other
> issues and is only a sample program) and mailutil.
>
> mailutil has a 1024 byte buffer.  How many people have passwords that
> are that long?  So the only crash will be if someone deliberately
> makes it crash, and to accomplish what purpose?
I think, if a user can crash an application with a special input, the
program has a bug.

We are in the good situation, that the bug is low priority, that the bug
is not security related and that it is trivial to fix it. But I wonder a
bit about this discussion. I believe that fixing the buffer overflow
with a simple replacement of strcpy() with strncpy() in function
mm_login, a bit testing and writing a commit message takes less time
than this discussion.  ;-)

Fixing the Solaris 10 problem would take a bit more time for me, because
I haven't already incorporated into the OS-dependency things in UW-Imapd.

Tim wrote that UW probably no longer maintains UW Imapd and Alpine. So,
is there a plan how new versions of Alpine and UW Imapd will be released?

My question is: Are you planning to write a fix or do you plan to accept
a fix for the buffer overflow bug?

If I know this, we may want to decide, if it's reasonable to write bug
reports for some Linux distributions (I have openSUSE and Ubuntu) and
for Solaris.

Greetings,
Björn